There is a wide range of spring home improvement ideas that can quickly help to get your space in shape, even on a budget. Following some simple spring home improvement ideas can help take the stress right out of taking care of your home. There are many cheap and easy home improvement projects that even the most inexperienced DIYer can take on.
You do not have to do a whole home remodel to make some noticeable changes to your home. These spring home improvement ideas can be a cost-effective way to improve your home. Simple home repair projects can improve the look of your home dramatically.
Start With Some Basics
The best place to start with your spring home improvement ideas is with the simple maintenance stuff that every homeowner should be doing this time of year. For example, before you start landscaping activities this spring, consider cleaning out those gutters. Gutters should be cleaned at regular intervals to keep water away from your house.
Spring is a great time to start looking around the house for evident wear and tear from the winter months. Some spring home improvement ideas that start with an evaluation of your home include:
- Roof repairs. The winter (depending on where you live) can be really hard on a roof. Either hire a professional roofing company to inspect your roof, or get up on the roof yourself. Look for loose shingles and other obvious repair issues.
- Check for chipped paint on windows, doors, decks, and fencing. One of the best spring home improvement ideas is to give your windows, doors, decks, and fencing a fresh coat of paint.
- Spring time is a great time to replace rotting or decaying tiles around the pool, or in the house. A new tile floor can really update a space.
Pacing yourself and making a list of the most important things first will help you get everything was done that needs to be done. All of the above are “must-do” maintenance activities, and it can get overwhelming if you do not make a list and check things off as you go. Before taking on remodeling get these home repair projects out of the way first.
Slow and Steady Wins the Race
There are a few things that you can do to decrease the stress of dealing with all the spring home improvement ideas you have to get done. Following a few simple guidelines will make sure you can get all your projects done in record time.
Balancing out the projects with the time that you have to dedicate to the projects is vital. For example, if you only have enough time to manage roof repairs, gutter repairs, and some painting, you may have to forgo some of the things that you want to get done.
It is important that you focus on the issues that can cause damage to your home. Things like putting time and effort into your garden so that you can have a great floral arrangement from cut flowers may have to wait.
Follow these tips to make your projects more manageable:
- Make a list. Do not forgo making a list of projects. Prioritizing what projects need to be done first starts with a visual. Seeing all the projects on a list will help you to number them based on time and budget, and level of importance.
- Before you start any project be sure that you have all the materials that you need. While this may seem like a no brainer, you would be surprised how many people start projects only to find out they have run out of materials. Having all your materials shopped for before you start each project will ensure that your time is used wisely, and not spent running back and forth to the supply store.
- Know your limitations. Before you start any project consider your capabilities and your skillset. There is no shame in hiring professional help to get a project done the right way. Many times a leap of faith is not enough to handle complex home improvement projects and DIY can get costly when you start tackling things you cannot finish.
Spring home improvement ideas are abundant and it can be easy to get in over your head with all the projects going at once. Pick a project based on the importance to the safety of your home, finish it up, then pick your next project. Too many irons in the fire can really be an issue and can mean that nothing gets done.
Knowing when to ask for help is also an important thing. Some of the best DIY home improvement projects just cannot be done by a single person. If you need help, enlist a friend or a family member. Buy lunch or dinner as payment for the favor and get the project done quickly and safely.
Once The Maintenance and Necessary Stuff Is Out of the Way
If you are the rare homeowner that follows all the maintenance recommendations to a Tee than you may not have a lot of “have to’s” for your spring home improvement ideas than you can move on to all the fun stuff that really improves your home.
Is there any place better to be than outdoors in the spring? Some of the best ideas for landscaping are the easiest to pull off. Consider putting in that new flower bed this spring. A raised flower bed along the fence line not only add some color to your yard but it can also be used to increase your privacy.
All you need to create raised beds are some landscape ties stacked up, or pavers, or even pallet collars, and fill the boxes with soil. Raised beds are a gardener’s delight. You do not have to bend over to pull weeds, there will be fewer weeds and fewer insect issues.
Other outdoor spring home improvement ideas and best ideas for landscaping include:
- Opening your pool if you have one, making pool area improvements, or installing a pool if you do not have one. A pool can be a great addition to any backyard.
- Building that fence that you have been talking about for years. Strong fences make good neighbors, they also help to create a private oasis in your backyard. Fences are a great investment for keeping your yard secure.
- Plant a vegetable garden, fruit trees, and other edibles in the backyard. Create gardens that will feed your family.
Other outdoor spring home improvement ideas include build a small pond in the backyard, add a fire pit, put in a paver patio, make a paver pathway that winds through your gardens. If you are lucky enough to not have to do all the spring home improvement ideas that are actually necessary maintenance, get outside and enjoy the weather while you improve your outdoor living space.
On Those Rainy Days
Unfortunately, rainy days are a fact of the springtime but don’t despair, there are plenty of indoor spring home improvement ideas that you can focus on during those rainy days. Rainy days are a great time to get some of those cheap and easy home improvement projects off your to-do list
Every home can do with a coat of paint. Painting is something everyone can do. A fresh coat of paint will instantly make your space feel and look brand new. Paint is relatively inexpensive and it can have dramatic impact.
Painting your interior on those rainy days when you cannot be outdoors is a great way to make a significant difference in the appearance of your home. Once you are done you can add some new art on the walls to really change things up.
Here is a little cheat trick when it comes to painting. If you do not want to paint the whole room, consider painting the ceiling and the trim. Painting the ceiling and the trim can instantly brighten up your space and make even older paint on the walls look new.
If your house is already painted and looking great, good on you. How are your floors looking? New carpet, new tile, and even new hardwood can transform the interior of your home. If it is not in your budget right now to invest in new flooring, how about adding some area rugs?
Rolling out some area rugs can hide flooring that you are not happy with or that is stained and damaged. While it is not a tremendous home improvement, it can freshen up space quite a bit.
How’s your garage looking? No spring home improvement ideas list would be complete without talking about getting your garage in order. Springtime is a great time to purge and get rid of all the junk that has been piling up in the garage.
We all get overburdened with stuff that we do not need/want and somehow it seems like it finds its way into the garage. Spring is a great time to purge a lot of that stuff and organize the rest. Organizing your garage can be made simple with the right tools. Here are a few tips for putting your garage in order:
- Invest in baskets, storage tubs, hooks, shelving, and organizers. Everything should have a place, having the right storage stuff on hand will ensure that you have a place to put everything.
- Get everything up off the floor. Saving floor space is vital in the garage. Most garages have plenty of vertical space for storage. Using hooks and other equipment to free up floor space and hang items from the ceiling and walls is an easy way to get your garage in great shape.
- Bag and tag it all. Make three piles. One for donation, one for trash, and one to throw out. When you start going through all the stuff in your garage you will be surprised by what you can live without.
Once you have your garage organized you will feel so accomplished. Most people do not like to think about digging through the garage and getting it organized but it is an important springtime activity that will ensure that you will enjoy that space for the next year or until it becomes cluttered again.
Other Easy Spring Home Improvements
Some home improvements are fewer improvements and more spring cleaning slash small easy projects. Closets, cupboards, and pantries can become a mess. It can be easy to jam things in an already packed closet because the mess stays behind the door.
Make it a ritual every spring to clean your closets out and throw out anything that you have not worn or used during the season before. For example, a winter coat that you had since 1995 that you have not worn since 1996 should find its way to the donation box or the trash.
Once you have cleaned all the closets out, consider, buying organizers for your closet spaces. This is true of your pantry and your cupboards as well. Organizers are easy to install and can help you keep your closet space easily organized.
In most cases all you need is a screwdriver to install the organizers. It can be an easy project that pays you back tenfold.
Luckily today there are tons of tutorials online that can teach you how to easily update and remodel your bath. You do not have to be a plumber or have a special skill set to make some changes in your bathroom by using these cheap bath remodel ideas
Installing a new vanity typically comes down to a few screws. New lighting is a couple of wires that you need to join together. You do not have to rip out the old bathroom to get an entirely new look in your bathroom. The best bath renovations are often the easiest.
Both bathrooms and kitchens are a great place to invest some of your spring home improvement ideas energy. The ROI that is associated with these two rooms are tremendous. Changing out fixtures for the sinks is simple and can add some real punch to the room. A new backsplash in the kitchen can add just the right amount of drama to the room, there are plenty of spring home improvement ideas that are centered around these two rooms. You can remodel your bath effectively in no time. Cheap bath remodel ideas are all over the internet. Look blogs to get the best DIY home improvement projects ideas and remodel your bath in your free time.
Of course, like any other spring home improvement project, you do want to have a plan, and you do want to make sure you do not start something you cannot finish. Both kitchen and bathrooms are very important rooms and you do not want to leave them out of commission for too long. Call a remodeling company if you run into obstacles you cannot overcome.
Get Started Today
Spring comes and goes pretty quick. You want to get started as soon as possible on any of these spring home improvement ideas before the summer heat gets here. These household project ideas and modernize your space and give you the satisfaction of a job well done.