High quality home improvements may be taken to mean luxurious fittings and elegant additions. However, they refer to the careful application of durable materials and professional workmanship. They are renovations that can last and create value corresponding to the expenditure of the project.
In this article, we’ll look at some of the high-value renovations you should consider for your home.
A garage remodel is one of the top priorities when it comes to high quality home improvements. That is particularly true if you love indulging in repairs and DIY projects. But even if you do not use it often, it is always wise to ensure that the room has an ideal environment for working.
One of the biggest problems with many garages is clutter. The items range from auto repair tools to lawn care equipment. The garage is bound to have boxes and old electronics taking up space. Consider giving away or selling some of the items instead of letting them remain there to collect dust and rust.
Planning is an important element for making the space functional. Take note of the following points for high quality home improvements for the garage:
- Leave Room for the Workspace: When installing new shelves and cabinets, do not forget to leave enough room for working. For small spaces, you may go for wall-mounted racks and overhead fixtures. The more the light hits the floor, the roomier the garage will feel.
- Quality Materials: When choosing garage cabinetry, avoid skimping on quality. Due to the nature of the tools and equipment, the materials ought to be heavy duty.
- Budget Estimates: You may have to make adjustments to the wiring and plumbing to give room for new renovations. Plan and determine the budget early on during the project.
Making high quality home improvements for your kitchen will often go beyond fixing the cabinets and countertops. You will require professional appliances and aesthetically pleasing countertops that are also easy to clean. You may also need convenient storage for all your pans, pots, and utensils.
There are many different types of electronics available today. There are coffee makers and ovens that can be connected to the Internet. However, it is wise for homeowners to consider only those appliances that add value. Otherwise, you may end up with a collection of equipment you hardly ever use.
When planning high quality home improvements take time to understand the flow of traffic. In particular, pay attention to the triangle between the sink, refrigerator, and the range. You may add or remove some elements from that region of the kitchen to make the workflow more efficient.
You may consider the following additions for your kitchen:
- Countertops: Ideally, you ought to pick countertops that are easy to clean and maintain. Marble and other exotic natural stones are popular for high-end kitchen renovations. They have varying patterns meaning virtually every installation is unique. But the disadvantage is that they are susceptible to staining. Homeowners and contractors prefer quartz countertops over natural stone for its durability and aesthetics.
- Appliances: For high-end renovations, aesthetics are crucial. You want a coordinated look throughout the kitchen. You can choose refrigerators and ovens that match the accent or cabinets. You can also go for a fridge with a French door that opens on both sides. It allows for more clearance within the work area.
- Task Lighting: You may require light fixtures for extra illumination. High quality home improvements demand aesthetically pleasing installations that are coordinated with the rest of the interior.
Kids Creative Room
The room can be messy without proper organization. Books, toys, and lots of other items kids love to play with may require storage. You don’t have to follow the same designs other people use for their children’s bedroom. Consider coming up with a unique style that fits your family needs and preferences.
Here are a few points to keep in mind when renovating the kids’ room and play area:
- Plan for the Long-Term: Children will quickly outgrow fittings that are built exactly to size. Make room for growth and consider changes likely to happen in the future.
- Involve the Family: When making design choices, let your children make some decisions on fittings and decor. You can narrow down your options to avoid wild suggestions that do not fit your plans.
- Storage: Ensure you have enough room for all the books, stationery, and toys. You can personalize spaces to encourage compliance from your children. There are lots of ways you can incorporate cabinets into furnishings, walls, and even bunk beds.
If you’re aiming for high quality home improvements, a home theater is an excellent addition. If your family likes movies and TV shows, you can create a theater for an immersive movie experience. Before you begin your project, you’ll have to carefully plan the room for soundproofing, lighting, and other extra fittings.
- The Room: Go for a space that can be dedicated solely to watching movies. If you turn it into a general entertainment area, distractions can ruin the immersive experience. You could renovate your basement, although you should be ready to remodel the room extensively.
- Space: Square spaces can create sound distortions in the room. You could pick a spare bedroom, as long as it has the features that will not ruin the cinematic experience. Keep in mind that unless you are using a short-throw projector, you may need at least 10 feet clearance. The rule of thumb is to create a distance double the width of the screen.
- Sound Proofing: Home theaters can be loud and noisy. It is necessary if you don’t want constant complaints from neighbors, or noises from the room, while you sleep. You may need to change your wall and flooring. Instead of hardwood floor installations, opt for a comfy carpet that can absorb sound. Consider birch wood doors and drywall for extra soundproofing.
- Lighting: The home theater is one of the rooms that does not favor natural light. It can cause distortions, so you should consider extra lighting fixtures for illumination. Drapes will require opening and closing, therefore, most homeowners opt for blacked-out windows. You will need a variety of lighting fixtures, most of which should be behind the seating. A mix of a recessed light, dimmers, and rope lights can make it easy to graduate the illumination for your convenience.
- Plush and Soft Furniture: Go for comfy seats that can complement the cinematic atmosphere. Soft furnishings are also better at absorbing sounds and eliminating distortions. Avoid shiny items to minimize reflections. Opt for darker colors for a better picture and experience.
An increasing number of people are working from home or have changed their routine in the last decade. As a result, many employees are taking some of the assignments with them to their house. Additionally, as a homeowner, you may want to run part of your business from a private office.
A conducive environment is key when creating a home office. You will need more than just ergonomic office furniture. The color, fittings, and the location, are some of the elements you should carefully plan, for high-end renovations.
Some of the high quality home improvements for an office may include:
- Ideal location: You could opt to use any spare bedroom in your home. But you need to determine if the location is free from distractions. If it is between other rooms, you may experience constant interruptions from members of your family. Ideally, it should be located away from the living room, play area, or be away from the house.
- Lighting: Lack of adequate natural light can affect your productivity. The room you choose should have large windows that allow for maximum illumination and views. The computer screen should be located away from the source of light to minimize reflections.
- Color: When picking a color for the interior, consider the mood they convey. For attention and tasks that require concentration, yellow and green are preferred. You can try experimenting with other colors as long as you can focus.
- Desk and Chair: /strong> You’ll be working for long hours on your workstation. You should carefully select the desk and chair while choosing the right height and width. Luckily, modern ergonomic office furniture has room for adjustments.
Top Remodeling Mistakes to Avoid
High quality home improvements require fittings and expertise that is often costly. Mistakes can, therefore, be a major setback for your project. It is advisable to hire custom home builders with the right skills. Here are a few mistakes you should avoid during renovations.
Avoid DIY Problems
The advantage of doing the work is that you can save significant amounts of money in the short-term. But you ought not to attempt fixing certain parts of your home unless you have professional skills. For instance, you should never attempt to do your own plumbing without first consulting a local plumber.
Most homeowners tend to ignore building codes and regulations. You may be forced to obtain the permit later, which will incur fines and additional costs from the inconvenience. Qualified custom home builders can help you determine if the project is viable.
Choice of Flooring
Flooring can be expensive to install or repair. For high quality home improvements, you need to find the type of floor that is suitable for your home. Sometimes, homeowners focus on aesthetics and forget about functionality.
Generally speaking, homeowners prefer hardwood floor installations over rugs. A carpet is not to clean and can be a breeding ground for pests and microorganisms.
However, hardwood flooring may not be suitable for areas saturated by moisture, such as the kitchen or bathroom. Vinyl tiles may be a more appropriate choice for those rooms.
Timing, budget, and the availability of materials are some of the prerequisites of a successful project. There are many aspects of the project that could go wrong. Some items could be damaged, or you may need carpet repair before you can start.
It is, therefore, wise to plan for contingencies and to be ready to make adjustments. That way, you can avoid surprises and be in a better position to make changes where necessary.
Choosing the Right Contractor
You may choose a qualified contractor, but that does not always mean they will be the right fit. They should have experience working on a similar project. For example, you may find a builder who is licensed and experienced, but he may not have the experience working with architectural metalwork. Review the referees and ensure the contractor is someone you can work with freely.
Too Many Rooms at Once
You ought to focus on the fittings you use daily. That includes items such as doorknobs, faucets, appliances, and kitchen cabinets. If you have too many things on your hands, you are bound to sacrifice on quality.
Focus on one area at a time when you are planning your home. Start with the living area before you proceed to other parts of the house.
You can avoid getting overwhelmed by setting up a timeline. Note down everything that needs to be purchased before you start your remodeling project. You don’t want to feel rushed when buying fittings. Therefore, start early, because poor planning hardly results in high quality home improvements.
Not Consulting During the Planning Stage
It is critical that you consult a general contractor, to ensure that the renovations are done professionally, and according to the local code. One thing that many homeowners forget is to talk to an expert during the planning stage of the project.
When planning, make a point of having a contractor analyze the project. You will be in a better position to find out if you are on the right track and whether the project fits your budget. If you consult hot tub dealers at later stages of your plan, the prices may have changed, or some items may be unavailable.
On the flip side, you will have the chance to talk to your contractor to find suitable alternatives that suit your budget and taste. Many professional builders will appreciate the effort since it helps them save time when remodeling your home.
Planning is key for all high quality home renovations. Consult an experienced contractor whether you are preparing to renovate the shower or install solar panels. A professional builder can walk you through the project so that you can avoid costly mistakes in the future.